Finally it was announced and Microsoft has decided to discontinue some of its very popular products such as Forefront Threat Management Gateway 2010 together with some others listed below:
- Forefront Protection 2010 for Exchange Server (FPE)
- Forefront Protection 2010 for SharePoint (FPSP)
- Forefront Security for Office Communications Server (FSOCS)
- Forefront Threat Management Gateway 2010 (TMG)
- Forefront Threat Management Gateway Web Protection Services (TMG WPS)
It also should be mentioned that among all of these, Forefront Protection 2010 for Exchange Server (FPE) will still be there but will be bound to Office365 and will be called Exchange Online Protection.
I still remember the rumor about a year ago about this decision but it was not confirmed then. Now that is is confirmed, there are still questions left on why Microsoft has made this strategic decision especially the decision to discontinue TMG which is a very popular product. It is now being used by a lot of companies as a gateway software for so many different purposes. It was the successor of popular Microsoft ISA Server 2006 and now all have been discontinued to be any further developed.