In this exercise you will learn how to encrypt and decrypt files and folders using cipher.exe command-line utility on a Windows Server 2012 R2:
- Log on to Example-Server01 and create a new folder named Confidential_Docs in partition C.
- Double click and open Confidential_Docs and create a text document in it and name it Daily_Doc.txt.
- Double click Daily_Doc.txt and type something in it. Click File and then Save and then close the Notepad text editor.
- Open the Start screen and type cmd.exe and press Enter to open Windows command line.
- Type the following command and press Enter to encrypt the Confidential_Docs folder and all the content inside:
- Cipher.exe /E /S:C:\Confidential_Docs
- To decrypt the same folder, you will need to use the following command:
- Cipher.exe /D /S:C:\Confidential_Docs
If you are interested in security and you want more of these detailed step-by-step guides, you could have a look at my recently published ebook by clicking on the book cover below: